See our Directory for an Extensive List of our Local Businesses, Restaurants, Shops, and Recreation
Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce - Carthage, New York - Fort Drum - Carthage - West Carthage - Natural Bridge - Business - Housing - Recreation
For More Information:
Carthage Free Library - www.carthagefreelibrary.org
Jefferson County Historical Society - www.jeffersoncountyhistory.org
4 River Valleys Historical Society - www.4rvhs.org
History of the Carthage Area: Dating back to the 18th century, the history of the Carthage Area is alive and embraced. Jean Baptiste Bossuot was the sole inhabitant of the area in the late 1790s, when he ran a ferry and an inn. The town of Champion became home to the first family in Jefferson County when the Mix family settled here in 1799. Pioneers came to the area in the early 1800s, and the first bridge over the Black River was constructed in 1804 in Great Bend. The village of Carthage was incorporated in 1841, and the village of West Carthage followed in 1889.
The Twin Villages grew around the industry of the Black River. Downstream from the villages, the river descends in a long series of rapids, providing waterpower for the industries that sprang up along its banks. This allowed gristmills, saw mills, followed by iron foundries, tanneries, and paper mills to flourish into what Carthage became today.
The Carthage Area is characterized by our strong community identity and pleasant small town atmosphere. It is a place of hometown celebrations, tradition, and community spirit. We take pride in our quality of life, our kind residents, family-owned businesses, and our safe streets.
There are many things to do in the Carthage Area, from kayaking and fishing the Black River to snowmobiling on Tug Hill. Our community is nestled between the Thousand Islands, St. Lawrence River, and the foothills of the largest state park in the country, the Adirondack Park. The Carthage Area offers a pure and serene rural setting with all the necessities and conveniences of modern life, accentuated by the growth of Fort Drum.